Search The Web

Custom Search

Read a Book a Month Challenge

I've been challenged! Since I am usually one who likes to be challenged to do something, I had to do this. I was reading my friend's blog, Homesteader's Heart (Thanks Kim!), and she was inspired by her friend to read 12 books in 12 months. As the story goes Her friend stole the idea from one of her blog friends who stole it from one of her blog friends, and so on...So, anyway, I'm stealing the idea now! 

I started looking through my book shelves for books to read for this challenge and really had a hard time finding books that intrest me! I used to be an avid reader but since I started homeschooling, I haven't had the time to read for pleasure.  I have read a few books on homeschooling and have also enjoyed reading aloud to the kids but over the past 13 years, I can count the books I have read for pleasure on one hand! That's why this challenge interested me.

Since I haven't read for pleasure in such a long time, I have found that I don't have many of those type on my shelves. Well, I do, but they interest my kids, not me! So my list contains a lot of books about hoomeschooling and christian life that I have not finished (or started) plus some books that belong to my kids that I think I am going to like. Here they are:

Here is the list:
  • Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
  • Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean by Linda Cobb
  • The life That Wins by Watchman Nee
  • Lies Homeschooling Mom's Believe by Todd Wilson 
  • The Complete Green Letters By Miles J Stanford 5 books in one
  • Alvor by Laura Bingham
  • Homeschooling with a meek and Quite Spirit By Teri Maxwell
  • Homeschooling-The Journey is the Reward by Pamela S. Berthume
A little about some of the books I am going to read:
 
This book was written by a friend of ours who Irish Dances with my daughter. I was in Costso the other day and it was there with the other fiction books! It was so exciting that I started to tell some of the other shoppers about her.  Yes I embarrassed myself a little bit. You can find her book in my Amazon Book Store.
 
 
Wow, what can I say about this book.  The Green Letters is one of those books that you never want to get rid of and that you want to encourage everyone to read.  I have learned, and am still learning, what the christian life is all about from this book. From the back; "Not I, but Christ. That brief phrase reflects our complete dependency on Jesus for everything that the Christian life is about, from right standing with God, to spiritual growth, to personal well being, to practical service. In four words, it captures the essence and sweep of The Complete Green Letters....A sound apprehension of the deeper life can make the difference between progress and frustration, peace or turmoil.....The Complete Green Letters shines light on the path of spiritual growth." The Complete Green Letters is 5 books in one. It is a meaty book and sometimes it is easier to read them separately. Get the Complete Green Letters here.



Well, that's it! Wish me luck! Oh, and I challenge YOU to join me! Comment below, or email me with your book choices. I would love to see what your reading!

Until Next Time,
Gruvinmom

P.S. You can find all the books listed above in my Amazon store. Check it out!
;)

1 comment:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Great list of books my friend. I want to read Anne of Green Gables too. I'll have to put that on next years list! LOL
Blessings,
Kim
Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet spirit is so convicting!LOL BUT really really good. You'll like it!
Hugs!

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.